Over the past century, one form of communication has stood the test of time: direct mail.
Although the various generations clearly have different life experiences, direct mail marketing has proven to be an effective way to reach audiences of all ages. Research shows that direct mail connects and engages because it is tangible, builds trust, has a physical and emotional impact and has staying power.
A recent survey conducted by the U.S. Postal Service found similar reactions by all age groups to direct mail: 56 percent of respondents say that receiving mail is “a real pleasure,” and 67 percent feel that mail is more personal than the internet. This is especially true for younger age groups, as 77 percent of millennials say they pay attention to direct mail ads.
To create smarter and more comprehensive marketing strategies, it’s important to recognize factors that may affect each group’s mindset and attitude toward different marketing communications.
Consider these facts, which are based on surveys and research reports from a variety of sources:
- Individuals in the Silent Generation (born 1925 to 1945) are most likely to trust direct mail when considering a purchase decision, and more than 80 percent of survey respondents say they trust direct mail. They also are willing to read longer documents and are interested in mail order purchases.
- Baby Boomers (born 1946 to 1964) use direct mail marketing to influence their decisions regarding online spending, and 73 percent of them check their mailboxes at least six days a week. Additionally, although individuals in this age cohort spend less time online, they spend more money online!
- Studies show that 86 percent of individuals in Generation X (born 1965 to 1980) bring in the mail every day, 68 percent use coupons they receive in the mail and 72 percent receive bills through the mail.
- According to a survey, 62 percent of millennials (born 1981 to 1996) said they had recently visited a store based on information received in the mail. Studies show that millennials appreciate relevant marketing mail and coupons, and 75 percent of survey respondents said receiving personal mail makes them feel special.
- Despite the fact that they grew up with technology, studies show that direct mail resonates with individuals in Generation Z (born 1997 to 2012) as well, as it cuts through the digital clutter that they have learned to “tune out.”
Make Proven Marketing Methods Work for You
The novelty aspect of physical ads is eye-catching for younger viewers who have grown up in a digital advertising landscape. The physical sensations associated with touching the ads triggers an emotional response in all viewers, and that response is especially strong in younger generations. Regardless of their age, the viewers subconsciously associated the physical ads with a higher monetary value; 70 percent of consumers say that direct mail is more personal than digital advertising.
AMPlified Mail’s marketing solutions enable you to leverage the power of direct mail marketing by reaching audiences of all ages easily. Through the platform, you can find your target audience or upload existing address lists; use one of our professionally designed templates to create your own message with your logo and other details, or you can create a design from scratch; and then sit back and relax as we print and mail the postcards for you.
Contact us for more information about our custom solutions, or log into AMPlified Mail to begin your postcard mailing.
Learn more about AMPlified Mail’s postcard marketing solutions and the impact of direct mail!
- Postcard Design Tips to Help You Create an Effective Direct Mail Piece
- Step-by-Step Guide to Selecting Audience Data for Targeted Direct Mail
- Direct Mail Builds Brand Awareness